At Mt. Olive our desire is to carry out the great commission beginning at home and stretching across the globe. Join together and help us preach the Gospel to all nations for the glory of God.
In the Beginning…
Mount Olive Baptist Church was first called Kingwood Baptist Church when it was constituted in 1902. The church began with a membership of about 20 people who were saved in a tent revival. Heart pine lumber from the Kingwood sawmill was used to construct the first wood frame building. Men and women traveled on foot, horseback, in buggies and wagons once a month for “preaching” delivered by men of God who preached fearless sermons that sometimes lasted an hour and a half.
In 1948, a tornado nearly destroyed the church, but the members worked hard to rebuild the small sanctuary. In 1951, the church called Jesse Alligood as the first full time pastor. In 1952 a block educational building was added with another one to follow in 1965. The church kept growing! By the early seventies, the sanctuary was overcrowded and in tremendous need for a new worship center. In 1972, under Rev. Ronald Barrett’s leadership, the church broke ground on what is now the current sanctuary, which was updated and remodeled in 2002. In 1989 the current adult educational wing was constructed and it was only a matter of time before this facility was overflowing with people whose lives were being transformed by the study of God’s Word.
In 2009, we completed our new Visitor’s Center, Preschool and Children’s Building…which provides a state of the art, safe and secure environment for those Birth to 12th grade including a worship area designed for a weekly Kid’s Worship class to enjoy worship music and Bible teaching while adults are having worship time in the sanctuary. The spacious lobby gives adults a comfortable place to gather and enjoy a cup of coffee while visiting before classes or worship services begin. Because of the generous financial support of our members, the church is currently debt free!